Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Musical/Movie Project Week 5

 Wow!  This was an interesting week.

Musical Monday - The King and I (1956)


This was enjoyable to watch again.  I don't remember what was my first staged musical show was, but this was definitely one of the earliest I can think of.  It was only a local high school, but between that and this movie I definitely remember this show from childhood.  I haven't seen it in years and I didn't remember everything, but it gave me all those feel-good vibes.  Maybe since this is one of those musicals I grew up watching, it seems like the perfect classic musical to me.

Tune Tuesday - Dear Evan Hansen (2015)


Oh my! Wow! Did they hand out tissues with the playbill at this show?  Okay, so I know I kind of missed the train with this one, but I get the hype.  I of course had heard the soundtrack, but listening to that without the dialogue does not provide the same emotion.  Literally, I was in tears during this show.  I can't believe how lucky I was to find a video with Ben Platt.  Not going to lie, I've loved this kid since I saw him as Elder Arnold Cunningham in the Chicago production of Book of Mormon, and then when I made the connection after watching Pitch Perfect I was like wow, not going to forget this guy.  So yes, this has been my favorite viewing this year!  I also found it interesting that I enjoyed it so much with it being such a small cast musical.  I'm a dancer, so I usually enjoy big productions with dance numbers and this definitely doesn't have any of those.  The music still works without a huge ensemble.  Just trust me, and take the time to watch this show.

Way back Wednesday - An American in Paris

I was shocked that I couldn't find this at the library.  I really do need to start looking for these shows before I put them on my schedule.

Throwback Thursday - The Mighty Ducks (1992)


I absolutely loved this movie when I was a kid.  I have been waiting for this to come up on my schedule for weeks now.  I fully expected to feel the need for a marathon after watching the first one, but I have to admit, I didn't.  I don't know if I've just seen this way too many times or if I've finally grown up too much for this one, but I found there were other things I'd rather be doing this week then watching the rest of these movies.  Don't get me wrong, I still claim that this is a great movie, but I wasn't as excited about it as I remembered.

Friday First - A Star is Born (1937)


So, I admit, I originally had planned on watching the newer 2018 version of this film.  However, after missing this week's classic movie on Wednesday, I thought I would try this one instead.  I think that I am glad I did.  Maybe I'll get to the other version some other time.

Seasonal Saturday - Moulin Rouge (2001)


I remember having mixed feelings about this when it first came out.  I think this time, I decided that I don't actually like this movie, but that I can appreciate the music.  I mean really, how can you watch this and not smile every time a new musical clip is introduced.  So many musical cameos, it's crazy.

Disney Dinner

Because of the superbowl, we didn't have a Disney dinner this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment