Thursday, January 21, 2021

Musical/Movie Project Week 2

 Well, this week wasn't quite as exciting as the first, but I'm still loving this project.

Musical Monday - The Fantasticks (1995)


I knew absolutely nothing about this show when I started watching it.  As it started, I was excited.  I loved the song "Never Say No" but unfortunately, for me, it seemed to all be downhill from there.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, but I didn't love it.  This is one of the odd times with a musical, that I remember the plot fine, but can't seem to remember many of the songs.  Honestly, I think I enjoyed some of the stage ideas more than the show itself.  I feel like I'm being hard on this one and it's not like  I hated it, but I do think I'll enjoy some of the other shows on my list much better.

Tune Tuesday - Disney's Frozen the Broadway Musical (2017)


We watch the Frozen movies almost daily in our house right now.  So, I wasn't super excited for this one, but it only made sense to listen/watch it after our Frozen Disney dinner night.  I was familiar with some of the changes of this show from the movie, because I had also seen a Frozen Jr production.  So, honestly, I just expected to listen to the soundtrack this day since it's a newer, popular show.  However, I checked on YouTube and was surprised to find a video of the show on Broadway.  I was so excited, since my cousin worked on this show designing all the sets.  In fact, my whole family was planning on watching the traveling production this spring, but of course with Covid, that's not happening at least at this time.  However, while I'd rather watch a show than just listen to the soundtrack, this video wasn't that great in terms of seeing much of the set designs or even the full cast.  They seemed to focus only on who was singing at the moment.  Which, I know some videos that are taped of a full stage view, constantly struggle to stay in focus.  I guess I'd rather see a close up of someone's face than a white blob.  As expected, the show was fun.

Way Back Wednesday - La Dolce Vita (1960)


Like Monday, I didn't know anything about this movie.  I only chose it because it showed up on so many lists of best classic movies.  I don't know why.  Maybe because of some filming techniques used or something like that.  I will admit there were some pretty scenes, but oh my goodness, I could not get into this movie.  To be completely honest, I didn't even finish it.  I know that seems like cheating, but this movie is  three hours long and I gave it a good two hours of my time before I turned it off.  I don't know how the movie ends, but from the two hours I watched, there's no story.  Maybe I'm not cultural enough to appreciate it, but I just couldn't make it any further.

Throwback Thursday - Cool Runnings (1993)

I loved this movie when I was young, and it was just as fun now.  I was really hoping LittleCJC would watch it with me, because I thought she would like it too.  She didn't show any interest, though, but maybe another day.  I don't know what it was really like for the Jamaican team that first year, but at least the idea made for a great movie.  I almost want to research it now, but let's be honest, I probably won't.  This movie is a perfect 90s movie and I love it.

Friday First - Wind River (2017)


I guess this was the week for me to be clueless.  I guess I missed this movie when it came out, and I was a little surprised to find it on my list when I saw that it was only from 2017.  Any title on my list that I'm not familiar with, must have appeared on several lists for me to add it blindly.  So, I'm surprised I wasn't familiar with this recent movie.  If you're not familiar either, let me say, it's a little heavy.  That being said, I don't want to say I liked the movie, because honestly it was a little hard to watch.  However, I was interested in the storyline and very intrigued to see what happened.

Seasonal Saturday - Message in a Bottle (1999)


I thought I remembered this movie, but I have to admit I didn't really remember much.  So, it was nice watching this especially after the heavy film of the day before.

Disney Dinner - Inside Out (2015)


This movie was fun to watch.  LittleCJC knew was familiar with the characters, thanks to our Disney trips, but she didn't really remember the movie.  It was so cute, when Riley got a brain freeze and the characters all froze, LittleCJC finally realized that they were her brain.  I don't know if she wasn't listening at the beginning when it states this, but I loved it.  Be sure to check out my Disney dinner post for the meal details.

No comments:

Post a Comment