Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Homeschool Preschool

It seems like preschool has become much more popular and expected than it used to be when we were kids.  Neither Patrick or I attended any kind of preschool, but it seems like everyone does now.  I did some research this year when it was time to sign her up if we were going to send her somewhere, but after a lot of deliberation, we decided to not start her in a formal preschool class this year.  As of now, we think we will try to enroll her next year for a pre-k class, but we will see.  I know part of the dilemma this year was that if we didn't enroll her, there may not be a spot for her next year.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Many people told me, "oh she's so smart, she'll be fine" or "you have her involved in so many community activities, she doesn't need it."  I'm not sure I feel confident with either of those statements on their own, but I did use to work in a preschool.  So, I'm going all in with the idea of homeschool for preschool.  My plan is to have class twice a week, always in the morning, with a themed field trip if possible on a third day.  Our fall schedule is pretty crazy already, but the great thing about homeschool is that we can work around our schedule.  So far, I have our fall semester of 15 weeks generally planned out, with a more detailed idea of the first few weeks.  I'm a little anxious to see how our days actually turn out, but right now I'm mostly excited.  Of course, I'm going to share this whole adventure with you.

I have to be honest, I do have some fears about how this is going to work too, though.  First and foremost, will she even sit still and listen to me?  I have to admit that she isn't always the best behaved little girl, especially for me.  My hope is that if I make a big deal about starting school and if I actually have a little bit of a classroom set up, then she will be curious enough to pay attention.  I guess I will just have to wait and see.  I'm also a little concerned that I will make things harder than they need to be or that I will end up confusing her more than helping her.  I keep telling myself that anything we might accomplish will be better than nothing at all.

Do you or have you homeschooled your kids?  Let me know if you have any tips or suggestions, and come back next Wednesday to get a look at what I'm planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment