Thursday, April 29, 2021

Musical/Movie Project Week 12

 This was the week we were on vacation, so I didn't actually watch any movies.  I still had some planned and I have watched a few of them since being back.

Musical Monday - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (1999)


This is one that I took the time to watch since returning home from vacation.  Honestly, it's another one that I felt I could have skipped.  I watched the movie version with Donnie Osmond and I couldn't help but wonder how much it differed from the Broadway production.  Watching this so close to Jesus Christ Superstar, I started to wonder if I wasn't actually a fan of Andrew Lloyd Weber. Gasp, I know, how can I say that?  I actually did some research to make sure I did like some of his shows, and I do, or I always thought I did so I'm curious to see how I feel about say Phantom of the Opera when I get around to that one during this project.  As it stands now during this project, I feel like he has one hit song in all his shows but that's it, always leaving the rest of the show feeling like I've been let down.

Tune Tuesday - Miss Saigon


This show was interesting for me.  I grew up familiar with this show poster with the knowledge that it was a popular show, but I still had never seen it or listened to the soundtrack.  I can't say I loved the show, but the music was very interesting.  It's not that I found myself wanting to sing any of the songs, but they were all moving.  It's a very powerful score.

Wayback Wednesday - The Pajama Game (1957)


This was another cute musical that I had never seen.  It's not going to be a new favorite, but it was enjoyable.  In all honesty, this show is not one I ever heard anything about except that in show choir in high school we sang Hernando's Hideaway.  While watching the show, I also recognized a few other songs.  In particular, Steamed Heat.  I knew this song from my young dance days, and I'm pretty sure I've even seen a video clip from the scene in the movie, but I didn't realize it was from this show.  It was fun seeing it in context, since I've always found that song so fun.


Throwback Thursday  - The Parent Trap (1961)


This show we actually watched not that long ago, so I didn't feel bad about skipping it this time.  I always thought this was fun as a kid and it was just as fun watching as an adult.  This is another one that I believe the original is so much better, even though the remake was done while I was an appropriate age to appreciate and prefer that one.

Friday First - Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)


I didn't get to this one, and I don't think I will for now.

Seasonal Saturday - True Lies (1994)


I loved this movie when I was younger, but I can't help but wonder now, just how young I was when I started watching this one.  When I was researching where to get each upcoming movie, this one was included in Amazon prime.  However, by the time I got around to trying to watch it, I guess they had taken it off their playlist and I didn't want to pay for it.  I was disappointed for a few weeks, but since I was delayed in publishing this I can now say I've seen it (or most of it) as we just happened to catch it on AMC.  I wasn't able to watch the entire movie, but I saw enough of it to remind me of  how funny it really is.

Disney Dinner - Toy Story (1995)


This was the day we traveled home from Florida so we didn't have an official Disney dinner.  In fact, we didn't watch this movie at all, even though we have all seen it a thousand times.  We did however, have pizza for dinner which is why I put this movie here.  I thought I could pull it off as an easy Disney dinner if we chose to.  As it was, we were all just grateful to be home.


No comments:

Post a Comment