Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Darby O'Gill and the Little People

Disney Dinner Night - Week #4  Darby O'Gill and the Little People

With St. Patrick's Day coming up, we had to choose this movie for this week.  The true theme this week was green.  My goal was all green food!  The first sign of movie night that littleCJC saw was the cake, surrounded by shamrocks, a green loaf of bread, leprechaun glasses, and stickers. We had originally planned on going on a hunt for leprechauns with the glasses, but this evening ended up getting a late start, so we really only enjoyed dinner and started the movie.  In all honesty, littlecjc was not that interested and maybe halfway through she stated that she was ready for bed so we didn't even finish it.  Therefore, this is all about the food.


Can I just talk a moment about the cake, oh my gosh.  Probably the best cake I've ever made.  It was a homemade green velvet cake with a cheesecake layer in the middle, and the icing was made of cream cheese and marshmallow cream.  I got the recipe from Recipe Girl.  Amazing.  I haven't really looked at this blog yet other than this recipe, but I really do need to spend some time there because this cake was so good.


Backing up from desert, the actual meal was a little harder to come up with.  We had green Parmesan pasta with broccoli, a green egg frittata adapted from a recipe posted by scattered thoughts of a crafty mom, and the above mentioned bread from better than burgers.  Everything was tasty, but here's some thoughts in case I were to repeat this evening.  The frittatas tasted good, but I'm not sure they ended up how they were suppose to in terms of the actual baking.  The bread was also extremely tasty, but I was a little freaked out by the green color.  The recipe called for 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of green dye.  Well, If you remember the pink and blue cupcakes from our Sleeping Beauty evening found here, they were also supposed to be pink and blue in the cake part.  However, the colors ended up so faint that I didn't even mention it in the blog post.  So, with this fresh in my mind, I added the entire teaspoon to the bread when it obviously wasn't needed.  

For our drink this evening, I had made some lemon lime kool-aid sans sugar that I used to make green ice cubes.  My plan was to just pour some lemon lime soda over the ice, which is what I offered littlecjc, but Patrick and I decided to add some whiskey as well.


If you noticed on my picture of the cake, I tried to be fancy and add some chocolate shamrocks to our desert plates with moderate success.  Since I had extra chocolate, I used it up by dipping some pretzels in it and then using the chocolate to fix three together for another shamrock.  Yum!


Overall, a fun and very tasty evening, even though the movie was a flop for my 2 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment